- 1 In A Hurry?
- 2 Wax Ear Plugs
- 3 Bluetooth Sleeping Eye Mask
- 4 Bluetooth noise-canceling ear buds
- 5 Soft Foam Ear Plugs / Reusable Ear Plugs
- 6 Conclusions - Best Earplugs For Snoring Spouse
- 7 Recommended Products – Best Earplugs For Snoring Spouse
- 8 People Also Ask
- 9 References
In A Hurry?If you needBest Earplugs For Snoring Spouse and do not have the time to read the article, then below are my recommendations! Carry on reading to find out why these choices were made
|PQ Earplugs for Sleep - 24 Moldable Wax Ear Plugs for...||586 Reviews||Check Price|
|Sleep Headphones Bluetooth Eye Mask, Joseche Wireless...||2,056 Reviews||Check Price|
|Rose Gold Wireless Earbuds Bluetooth 5.0, Noise Cancelling...||985 Reviews||Check Price|
|Mack’s ThermaFit Soft Foam Earplugs, 40 Pair - Comfortable...||69 Reviews||Check Price|
|Premium Concert Ear Plugs - 4 PCS - High Fidelity Sound...||699 Reviews||Check Price|
Most people snore to some extent. However, when you have a partner that makes it seem like a freight train is coming when they are asleep, it can be a terrible thing. It may seem like they are snoring the entire night. At least it breaks up your sleep enough so that you never feel rested.
But don’t worry, there are a lot of things you can do to finally get that good night’s sleep – without resorting to moving to another room.
I am the snorer myself, and my girlfriend hates it. So I have done a lot of research into this topic and can help you find the best products and methods to get that good night’s sleep.
I’ll be covering earplugs that you can use yourself to block out the noise, as well as things you can get for your partner to stop the snoring
When you have a snoring spouse, the snores may seem incredibly loud, but they are never going to be loud enough to actually damage your hearing. Well – that is not precisely true…. Let us just say it is very unlikely that your partner can snore that loud.
Guinness World Records state that the loudest snoring was recorded in 1949 by Kåre Walkert of Sweden, who suffered from the apnoea breathing disorder – They were recorded as snoring at 93dB. (For comparison 95 dB is about the same volume as a motorcycle engine running).
“Normal” snoring usually falls in the range of 60 – 75dB
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) states that if you are regularly exposed to noise of over 85dB in your place of work then you should be provided with ear protection. But snoring this loud is incredibly rare – even though at 3 am it seems like your spouse could break the world record.
Even so, when you are looking for ear plugs you are still going to want them to block out as much of the noise as possible!
When buying ear plugs, their effectiveness is measured by the NNR (Noise Reduction Rating). The higher this value is, the more noise they block out. One point of NNR reduces the volume by 1 decibel. So if your spouse snores at 70dB, and the ear plugs are rated at 25 NNR, then the effective volume will be 45dB. (This volume is rated a faint. Similar to a soft conversation in a library)
Wax Ear Plugs
Moldable wax ear plugs are an ideal solution for someone who has to deal with a snoring spouse. This type of ear plug is considered by most to be the most comfortable type of plug. It is molded to the exact shape of your ear. The warmth of the ear keeps the wax slightly soft so that it is super comfortable. As it is molded into the shape of the ear, nothing protrudes, so they work great for side sleepers as well. Also because they are an exact fit, they do an excellent job of blocking out sound.
The disadvantages are that you can only wear each pair a couple of times, so they are not great for the environment. Also, when you first start wearing them they can be a bit fiddly to put in. But after a few days you will be easily using these plugs.
- Side Sleeping
- Blocks a lot of sound
- Low price
- Not great for the environment
- Can be fiddly when first used
Get a good night's sleep next to a snoring partner
Bluetooth Sleeping Eye Mask
This is the complete sleeping aid, blocking out light and playing music to help you sleep. If you look at the independent reviews on Amazon you will see that these have really transformed some people’s lives, helping them to sleep far more easily than they ever could before.
The speaker is very slim, so they are not uncomfortable when being worn. The play-time is about 9 hours, so you should be able to wear them for a whole night’s sleep. They are, of course Bluetooth compatible and will easily connect to your android, IOS, or other Bluetooth enabled device.
The device also has a built-in microphone allowing you to talk on your phone hands-free while in bed. (Remember to put your phone into silent mode when sleeping!). Your phone’s alarm should sound via the speakers once it is time to wake up.
This device only masks the sound of snoring rather than blocking it. It plays music etc. into the ears, and does not have any inserts to block sound
- Bluetooth Music
- Phone calls
- Blocks light
- Only masks the sound of snoring
Bluetooth noise-canceling ear buds
These are similar to the above sleeping mask, and you put them in your ears when you are going to sleep. You can then connect them to your IOS, Android or any Bluetooth enabled device. Music, audiobooks or white noise is then streamed to you while you sleep.
As they are noise-canceling, they actively block any noise from a snorer while they are on. So they are better at reducing any sounds that may disturb you. As they do not have a microphone you cannot make calls using this item, but you will still hear any alarm from your phone.
These are not held in place with a band like the sleeping mask, so if you toss and turn a lot in your sleep then they may become loose.
Again if you follow the link to Amazon, you will be able to see hundreds of independent reviews for the product, and from these be able to see if you think they will suit your needs. However should you sleep with a spouse who snores heavily, you should find these are great for helping you sleep, and they can be used at other times to listen to music – unlike the sleeping mask
- Can be used for multiple situations
- Bluetooth music
- Easier to dislodge when sleeping
How To Stop Snoring | How To Stop Storing Naturally
Soft Foam Ear Plugs / Reusable Ear Plugs
Both of these are very similar, you put them into your ears, and they block the sound. The main difference is that the foam plugs are not reusable (well maybe once or twice), but they become dirty quickly and need to be replaced. The reusable ear plugs can be cleaned and reused. Reusable plugs are more expensive but are good for the environment, and after a few months the higher price will be offset as you are not continuously replacing them.
This type of plug can be used in many situations, not just for blocking the sound of a snoring partner. For example, shooting, yard work, noisy factory, they provide a great level of protection for your hearing.
They are not the best plugs for sleeping in, as they can protrude from your ears. This means that they are not great for side sleeping, and the plug will put pressure on the ear. As they stick out they will be easy to dislodge when you move in your sleep
This type of plug is probably a good “starter” sleeping plug. See if you can sleep with a snorer with these plugs in, and if it does make for a good night’s sleep, get some “better” plugs.
- Readily available
- Can be used in a lot of noisy situations
- No good for side sleeping
- Easily dislodged
Conclusions - Best Earplugs For Snoring Spouse
Living with a snoring spouse can, at times, seem like a nightmare – Just ask my girlfriend. But there are a lot of things that you can do to reduce this sound.
The quickest and easiest relief for the sufferer (the person who has to hear the snoring at 2 am) is to pop in a pair of ear plugs. These come in several varieties, and the kind you want will depend on you and your budget.
However, if it were me, I would go for either the moldable wax earplugs, which are comfortable, allow side sleeping, and block a lot of the noise. Or the wireless in-ear Bluetooth noise-canceling earbuds, that will enable you to side sleep and can play soft music / white noise to help you sleep
Recommended Products – Best Earplugs For Snoring Spouse
Below are the recommended products, one from each of the main categories. Personally, I would go for either the wax earplugs, or one of the Bluetooth music playing items
- COMFORTABLE SLEEP - Wax ear plugs for sleeping adjust to every ear shape without making any pressure on an ear canal, unlike other foam earplugs. They cover the ear canal tight enough, so they will never fall out.
- FITS EVERYONE - Our noise canceling wax ear plugs are designed to fit any ear canal, even kids can use them. They don't stick out of your ear, so it is comfortable for side sleepers as well.
- A set of 24 reusable silicone ear plugs will last you for a long time. In addition, you receive 2 pairs of foam ear plugs and a special travel box to keep them clean.
- CHOICE FOR SWIMMING - the ear plugs are waterproof, so they can protect your ears from bacteria and viruses while swimming. Note that wax gel earplugs aren't recommended for outdoor swimming on a hot day.
- 32 dB BLOCK - All our ear plugs for sleeping have been tested and proved for noise cancellation, but they still allow you to hear warning signals or loud comments. Great for studying, working, concerts, traveling and hearing protection.
- 【Stereo Sound with Thin Speakers】Thickness is only one-third of the average speaker, which is very comfortable for sleepers. True HD HIFI sound featuring latest Bluetooth V-5.0 technology that produce great sound quality, bluetooth can pair your iPhone XS Max/ iPhone XS/ iPhone XR/ iPhone X/ iPhone 7/ iPhone 8/ iPhone 6 or any other Smartphones iPad Tablets easily.Compatible with Android and Ios.It is the best gift for family or friends on travel and airplane in Festivals.
- 【Play Time More Than 9 Hour】Upgrade usb chargeable battery, Built-in 240mAh high-performance battery, Charge about 2-2.5 hours provide more than 9 hours playing time, won’t be waked up at night,enough to support the whole night.If you fall asleep with it on and the battery runs down , this bluetooth eyemask won’t beeps to wakes you up. you will have a very good sleeping.
- 【Good Companion For Sleep And Travel】Block light to make your sleep better, allows you to listen to music without wearing additional headphones,which make you fall asleep faster.Extra cushion makes eye mask and nose touch better, which can be completely shaded. Best for frequent flyers to sleep on long flights or sensitive sleepers (insomnia) who dislike glaring lights in any occasions.Sleep in a light blocked world whenever and wherever.Perfect for air travel, relaxation, meditation, insomnia.
- 【Comfortable and Washable】Joseche bluetooth eye mask is made from elvet and elastic cotton, and provide a soft and comfortable feeling. Fabric liner separated from stitching is not defective,it is the place to take out the bluetooth module, so you can full wash the eye mask.You don't have to worry about it shrinking and deforming.
- 【Size and Speakers Adjustable】Size is 20.3-26.5inch, Velcro is adjustable, also fit big heads,sleep eye mask can be adjusted according to the size of the head.The delicate wiring connected to the speakers that go from ear to ear is very sturdy, you can adjust adjust the position of the speakers for your ears to hear more clearly.
- 【Unique UFO design】Wireless earbuds charging case like a flying saucer, only one finger can open and close case with unique 360°rotation. It's not only saving space but also as a stress relief toy, simple rotation stress released. Matting design is more upscale than bright, no more fingerprints on.
- 【3D Stereo Sound】This bluetooth 5.0 true wireless headphones come with HD 3D Stereo music experience, fast and stable, no more intermittent connection. Adopting latest intelligent noise cancelling tech , block mostly surrounding sound. No matter how noisy it is, your can immerse into your world.
- 【300 songs】ST-BE30 true wireless earbuds play about 4 hours on a single charge, long enough to power you through almost any workout. While on the go, portable charging case offering tws bluetooth earbuds 18 extra hours, totally 22H playtime for you to enjoy 300 songs or 10 movies.A quickly 15 mins charge will give you 45 mins playtime.
- 【Snug fit & Stay put】These bluetooth headphones offering super comfortable and stable experience. In-ear earbuds conforms naturally to your ear canal, light and comfortable to wear without pain even in long hours. They won't fall out, you can focus on reaching new heights in your workouts.
- 【Fast satisfied service】Dear customers, if there is any issue on using our bluetooth earbuds please contact on Amazon message or email, we will help solve issues quickly and effectively, and make you satisfactied.
- EXTREME COMFORT – The unique PVC foam in these cylinder shaped ear plugs start firmer to ease insertion, then react with your body heat to conform to the unique contours of your ears
- HEARING PROTECTION – With a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 29 decibels, these noise blocking earplugs help protect hearing and help you get a good, quiet night’s sleep
- MULTI-PURPOSE AND FASHIONABLE – Great for sleeping, studying, power tools, shooting sports, travel, concerts, etc. The user-preferred color is as easy on your eyes as they are on your ears.
- #1 DOCTOR RECOMMENDED BRAND of foam earplugs to get a good night’s sleep when sleeping with a snoring spouse
- MADE IN THE USA – Proudly made in the USA with low pressure, high performance, noise reducing foam. Satisfaction guaranteed! The plastic jar is safety-sealed and features a convenient flip-open top for easy dispensing.
- SPECIAL DESIGN: Reusable High-Fidelity Earplugs Protect your hearing letting you still hear everything without distorting the sound quality by reducing noise evenly, maintaining a full sound range.
- VERSATILE APPLICATION: With the Hearing Protection Ear Plugs there is no full blockage of sounds like with the foam plug so it’s suitable for live music events, festivals, performances, concerts, etc.
- COMFY: Gentle, no hard edges and precise triple-flange membrane design of the Sound Blocking earplugs does not cause itching or pressure pain and is being good for day use and ideal for sleeping.
- PERFECT STORAGE: A stylish, durable, aluminum Safe Elegant Case which can be worn on a keychain will make a safe storage for your Noise Cancelling earplugs protecting them from dust and moisture.
- HIGH-QUALITY: Premium Concert Earplugs are environmentally friendly, made of non-toxic, soft medical grade silicone material which makes them comfortable to wear for a long time and good for sleeping.
People Also Ask
Can snoring ever cause divorce?
Loud snoring by a spouse over some time will put a strain on a relationship. Lack of sleep in one partner leads to tiredness, and tiredness often leads to frustration and irritability. It can cause couples to sleep in separate bedrooms, interfering with sexual and emotional intimacy
Can loud snoring reduce your life expectancy?
According to research, people who snore loudly have a shorter life expectancy than those who sleep quietly – and not because they are killed by their spouse!
Snoring is linked to elevated blood pressure, obesity, stroke, and heart attacks. There is no clear evidence of how much the life expectancy is likely to be reduced if you are a snorer
Why has my spouse started snoring loudly?
There are several factors that can cause a person to suddenly start snoring. These include
- Colds and sinus blockages
- Drinking alcohol
- Lack of sleep
- Misaligned jaw
- Weight gain
As well as others. Any relaxants or depressants like medication or alcohol, cause your muscles to relax especially when you are sleeping. This relaxation causes obstructions in the throat leading to those loud and sudden snores – which can wake even the snorer!
Anything which affects the neck, a sprain, injury, or weight gain can cause the sudden onset of snoring.
How to Get Your Spouse to Stop Snoring
If you require more information, please check these references
Alcohol, snoring and sleep apnea , article, “jnnp.bmj.com”, retrieved on, Tue 29-October-2019
Snoring , article, “go.galegroup.com”, retrieved on, Tue 29-October-2019
Snoring , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Tue 29-October-2019
Mayo Clinic Snoring , article, “www.mayoclinic.org”, retrieved on, Tue 29-October-2019
About the author
Nick is a Computer programmer with 25 years experience working in the Industry. Past clients include The BBC, Natwest, British Rail.and Torbay Council.
Nick has suffered with Tinnitus for over 25 years