In A Hurry?If you needBest Earplugs For Traffic Noise and do not have the time to read the article, then below are my recommendations! Carry on reading to find out why these choices were made
|Mack’s Maximum Protection Soft Foam Earplugs – 50 Pair,...||141 Reviews||Check Price|
|PQ Wax Ear Plugs for Sleep - 12 Soft Earplugs for Sleeping -...||522 Reviews||Check Price|
|Ear Plugs for Sleeping, Concerts Ear Plugs, SNR23dB and...||77 Reviews||Check Price|
|Wireless Earbuds, AIKELA True Wireless Headphones Bluetooth...||2,211 Reviews||Check Price|
|awesafe Electronic Shooting Earmuff, Shooting Ear Protection...||2,405 Reviews||Check Price|
Road noise can be very annoying, especially when you are exposed to it all day. It is unlikely, however, that this form of noise pollution will cause you lasting hearing damage. You may still want to block some of this annoying noise from your working day, or possibly while you sleep. Which is what this article will help you with
There are different types of earplugs that are suitable for blocking this noise, depending on your situation. This can be sleeping, trying to block all of the road sounds, or still needing to communicate well you have the plugs in
Creating these articles, I have researched a lot of earplugs and done most of the hard work for you. below are details of the earplugs that I have reviewed and I have picked the best earplugs in each category so you can easily make the best choice for your situation
When buying earplugs to block noisy traffic, you will want to know how effective they are. Well, earplugs are measured by the NNR; this stands for the noise reduction rating. The NNR is basically a measure of how many decibels and noise is reduced. If a set of earplugs has an NNR of 20, that will reduce the traffic noise by 20 decibels. So if you are in a noisy situation where it is 90 decibels, and you’re wearing a pair of 20 and NNR earplugs, then the sound received by the ear would be approximately 70 decibels, which is well within safe limits.
Most earplugs will have an NNR of between 10 and 30. Below isn’t infographic that will give you some idea of what signs seemed like at different decibel ratings, so that you have some idea of what any reductions will sound like.
Because of the way we hear, it is not possible to block all noise from our ears; you will always hear some of the residual background traffic noise. But you can reduce it a lot
Living and working in a city, or indeed anywhere where there is a lot of traffic noise, can become very annoying after a short period of time. There are very few of us who have not experienced this at some periods of our life. The fact that you are reading this article means that you are not one of the lucky people, who are not stuck near noisy smelly cars a lot
Living in areas with traffic noise, (well I suppose that any noise would cause these problems) can cause some health problems if you are subjected to it for an extended period of time.
The noise can cause hypertension (high blood pressure)
It can stop you from sleeping well, which can lead to
- The immune system not being so resilient, leading to more illnesses
- Increased weight. Yes it is true – you can blame traffic and lack of sleep for weight gain
- Hormone imbalance – especially growth Hormones in children, and testosterone production in men
The noise from the traffic should not give you any permanent hearing damage, fortunately, as the average volume of road traffic noise is around 75-80dB, and Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA) recommends hearing protection when the perceived volume reaches around 85-90dB.
But all of these problems and annoyances can be relieved if you buy the Best Earplugs For Traffic Noise
There are several types of ear plug and ear defenders that are useful around traffic noise, and the one that you will need depends on the situation. These situations can be broadly categorised into three different types:
- Block some of the sounds, but still need to be able to hear the conversations that are going on around you. This typically applies to people who work near traffic
- Block as much noise as possible, but still allow you to hear some electronic devices. This usually applies to people who live in these areas, or workers that are in offices on phones, etc.
- Block as much noise as possible. This can be anyone in noisy traffic areas, who want some peace and quiet. Very common for sleeping etc.
Below we describe each of the situations in more detail, and make some recommendations as to the types of earplugs that you may want to consider buying, and what you should be looking for.
Block some noise but still be able to hear
If you are working near heavy traffic, or maybe you have an apartment and live with your family there, then you will probably want to block some of the traffic sounds, but still want to hear what your customers/co-workers or family say to you.
The type of plug that you would want for this situation are high-fidelity plugs. These come in electronic or non-electronic versions. They will reduce the volumes of the loud noises, while not reducing the quieter sounds. Some of the more expensive of these plugs will even amplify the quiets sounds, making hearing conversations even easier.
Block as much noise as possible, but still allow you to hear electronic devices.
If you are in a situation where you need to be able to hear people on a skype call, listen to the TV, play games, or just listen to music, then you will probably be looking for some good noise-canceling headphones.
Noise-canceling headphones actively cancel out external noises by having a microphone on each ear, which listens to the outside sounds. The earpiece then plays the exact opposite sound wave, canceling out the external sounds. The sounds you want to hear are then also played by the earplugs and these sounds are much easier to hear.
Noise-canceling earplugs work very well on continuous sounds like traffic noise, so should work very well in this situation. Ordinary headphones work also. However these will need to be played at a higher volume to hear well, which may be damaging to the ears.
Block out as much noise as possible.
You may want to do this for many reasons in a high traffic area when the noise is bothering you. But the most common reason for this by far, is so that you can get to sleep. We have all been in the situation where you have to stay in a hotel for some reason – work, or visiting somewhere, only to find that the hotel is near a busy road and sleeping is nearly impossible.
No earplugs can block out all of the sounds, and you probably would not want to. Shrill noises like fire alarms and alarm clocks are very hard to block out – That’s why alarms and sirens are that pitch because it is so hard to block and easy to hear. Traffic noise is a low pitch, so easier to block
But the types of earplugs that you would probably want for this situation are noise-canceling headphones (see above), where you could play some relaxing music. Or if you do not like that idea, then you can get some earplugs that block out most of the noise, like reusable plugs, if you are going to be there for more than a few days, foam plugs, or wax earplugs which are the best plugs for sleeping in – as they are the most comfortable – especially for side sleepers (See this article)
Conclusions - Best Earplugs For Traffic Noise
Road traffic noise can be very annoying, but with a good pair of earmuffs the volume can be reduced quite a lot. Should you need to sleep, listen to music or the tv, or even work when this distracting, and often disturbing noise is constant
The noise of road traffic will rarely be loud enough to cause you any permanent hearing damage. This type of sound is reduced significantly by noise-canceling technology.
When you have the right set of earmuffs then you will find that working or living in an area with a lot of traffic noise does not always have to disturb you. Take action now, and stop the sounds of cars and busses sounds from ruining your life!
Recommended Products – Best Earplugs For Traffic Noise
Well, now you should know quite a lot about earplugs and traffic noise. With this information you should understand the type of earplugs that you need. Below is my list of recommended earplugs for blocking traffic noise. There are some from each category so that you can pick the most suitable pair for your given situation
- MAXIMUM NOISE REDUCTION - With the highest Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33 decibels, these orange noise blocking earplugs help reduce the potentially harmful effects of loud noise
- EXTREME COMFORT - Made with Mack’s Comfy Cush foam for excellent performance and unmatched comfort. Finally, a 33 dB NRR, low pressure, foam earplug designed for larger sized ear canals without the excessive, uncomfortable bulk that comes with other brands.
- MULTI–PURPOSE - Great for sleeping, studying, snoring, work, travel, concerts, motor sports, and loud events
- #1 DOCTOR RECOMMENDED BRAND - Mack’s is the earplug brand most often recommended by Ear, Nose and Throat Doctors
- MADE IN THE USA - Proudly made in the USA with safe, high performance, noise reducing foam. Satisfaction guaranteed! The plastic jar is safety-sealed and features a convenient flip-open top for easy dispensing
- COMFORTABLE SLEEP - Wax ear plugs for sleeping adjust to every ear shape without making any pressure on an ear canal, unlike other foam earplugs. They cover the ear canal tight enough, so they will never fall out.
- FITS EVERYONE - Our noise canceling wax ear plugs are designed to fit any ear canal, even kids can use them. They don't stick out of your ear, so it is comfortable for side sleepers as well.
- A set of 12 reusable silicone ear plugs will last you for a long time. In addition, you receive 2 pairs of foam ear plugs and a special travel box to keep them clean.
- CHOICE FOR SWIMMING - the ear plugs are waterproof, so they can protect your ears from bacteria and viruses while swimming. Note that wax gel earplugs aren't recommended for outdoor swimming on a hot day.
- 32 dB BLOCK - All our ear plugs for sleeping have been tested and proved for noise cancellation, but they still allow you to hear warning signals or loud comments. Great for studying, working, concerts, traveling and hearing protection.
- 【Two Noise Reduction Rating Of 23 And 31db】The head inclined shape high fidelity ear plugs for concerts is SNR23dB, the other straight noise cancelling ear plugs for sleeping is SNR31dB. The product meets your enough needs. Noise reduction ear plugs for sleeping, snoring, concerts, club, and loud events.
- 【Earplugs of two shapes】Our sleeping earplugs are two-layers structures, smaller and more concealed, and ergonomically designed. One ear plugs for concerts is the head inclined shape, the other sleeping ear plugs are straight. You could choose noise reduction ear plugs that are more suitable for you.
- 【Safety and Comfortable Ear Plugs】Ear plugs for sleeping made in hypoallergenic and non-toxic material which is durable and lasting. The material is made of liquid silicone, which is softer and more comfortable than normal materials.
- 【Reusable and Easy To Carry】The noise reduced ear plugs are washable and reusable, which make them an ideal choice for cost-effective hearing protection. And package with an aluminum case you could take it anywhere you go.
- 【100% Satisfaction Warranty】We are confident that you’ll like our sleeping ear plugs. Experience any issues? Simply reach out to us and we’ll do all we can to make it right. But if for any reason you don't like these sleep ear plugs, you can replace them with free shipping or contact us to solve it.
- 【Balanced,Immersive Sound】Our wireless earbuds with CVC 8.0 noise canceling technology, 3D stereo sound with deep bass and crystal clear treble.Our wireless headphones are great for all day listening without fatigue. The flat sound profile makes them enjoyable no matter what genre of music you prefer.
- 【Auto Pairing &LED Digital Display】 The bluetooth earbuds use the latest digital display technology to indicate the battery level of the charging box. When you're ready to listen to music, just take out the earphones. These will be paired automatically and will reconnect to the last connected device next time.
- 【3500mAh Portable Powerbank】Large capacity and low power consumption type-c quick charge design.Our bluetooth wireless earphones provide 140 hours of battery life. The including Charging Case can recharge your earbuds up to 42 times, the in ear headphones can play music for about 3 hours after each charge. And you can also use the charging case as a powerbank to charge your phone.
- 【Ergonomic Design】The in ear headphones with IPX7 Waterproof are resistant to sweat, water and rain.Equipped with three different sizes of soft silicone ear tips (S, M, L). The three-point support design of the earphones ensures a safer wearing. Fits perfectly to your ears, do not have to worry about it falling down.
- 【Enjoy Your Purchasing】Our bluetooth headphones go through multiple levels of Quality Check to ensure that you get the best. But in case, you have any issue with the product, we provide 1 year of manufacturer warranty and professional 24 hours customer service.
- Features low profile earcups for firearm stock clearance; adjustable headband for secure fit;
- AUX input and 3.5 mm connection to external radios, mp3, phone etc. Operates on 2 'AAA' batteries (Included)
- Built-in Omni-directional microphones increase environmental voices when the sound is over 82dB, providing enhanced communication for hunting, shooting, etc. Noise Reduction Rating (NRR): 22
- The Awesafe electronic shooting earmuff is very convenient for your daily life, you just need to fold it up and put it in your own suitcase, backpack, ammo box, drawer, or wherever you keep your ear muffs.
- Awesafe Electronic Shooting earmuff Quality Guaranteed: 5 years on the electronic.
People Also Ask
What is traffic noise?
Traffic noise is the sound that comes from vehicles on the roads. The majority of that sound comes from the tires as they move along the road surface. Engine noise is the second biggest sound that makes up traffic noise, and the bigger the engine, the more noise it will produce
How can we reduce traffic noise?
- Insulate the exterior walls, or hang heavy fabric
- Get thick, noise reducing curtains
- Keep the windows and doors closed
- Reinforce the windows
- Use white noise like AC or fans to block the noise
Why does traffic sound louder at night?
Temperature does not really affect how sound travels that much – Even though some people think that this is why things sound louder at night.
The real reason is that it only sounds louder because it is quieter. Your ears actually turn down the volume when it is noisy, and turn it up when it is quiet. At night it tends to be quieter, so when traffic passes, it seems louder to the ear. If you were to measure the volume, it would be the same as it is in the day time (almost)
If you require more information, please check these references
www.sciencedirect.com , article, “Annoyance From Road Traffic Noise”, retrieved on, Mon 11-November-2019
www.sciencedirect.com , article, “Effects of road traffic noise and the benefit of access to quietness”, retrieved on, Mon 11-November-2019
link.springer.com , article, “Health effects of traffic noise”, retrieved on, Mon 11-November-2019
oem.bmj.com , article, “Road traffic noise and hypertension”, retrieved on, Mon 11-November-2019
en.wikipedia.org , article, “Roadway Noise”, retrieved on, Mon 11-November-2019
About the author
Nick is a Computer programmer with 25 years experience working in the Industry. Past clients include The BBC, Natwest, British Rail.and Torbay Council.
Nick has suffered with Tinnitus for over 25 years