Moldable earplugs are great for several situations. They are made from a soft material that can be made into the shape of your ear. There are comfortable, and do not stick out of the side of your ears.
These features mean they are great for swimming, blocking all the water, sleeping, you can sleep on your side comfortably, and you can also and were a pair of ear protectors over them, doubling the noise reduction
In A Hurry?
If you do not have time to read the full article, but want to find the best moldable earplugs? Below are the best, Wax (sleeping), Silicon (Swimming) and Plastic (long life) moldable earplugs!
- 1 Moldable Earplugs
- 1.1 In A Hurry?
- 1.2 Moldable Wax earplugs
- 1.3 Moldable silicone earplugs
- 1.4 Plastic Moldable earplugs
- 1.5 Other advantages of moldable earplugs
- 1.6 Disadvantages to moldable earplugs
- 1.7 Related Questions
- 1.7.1 How to remove moldable earplugs
- 1.7.2 Inserting and remove moldable earplugs
- 1.7.3 Can kids use moldable earplugs?
- 1.7.4 Are moldable earplugs reusable?
- 1.7.5 Are earplugs safe?
- 1.7.6 Wax Moldable Ear Plugs
- 1.7.7 Silicon Moldable Ear Plugs
- 1.7.8 Plastic Moldable Ear Plugs
- 1.7.9 Related Posts:
- 1.7.10 Best Hearing Protection For Duck Hunting
- 1.7.11 Best Chainsaw Ear Protection
- 1.7.12 Best Earplugs To Keep Water Out
- 1.7.13 Best Earplugs For Music Festivals
- 1.7.14 Best Earplugs For Flying
- 1.7.15 Best Hearing Protection For Construction
- 1.7.16 How To Block Out Snoring Without Earplugs
- 1.7.17 Best Reusable Earplugs For Sleeping
- 1.7.18 Best Ear Muffs For Studying
- 1.7.19 Best Hearing Protection For Lawn Mowing
- 1.7.20 Best Ear Protection For Leaf Blower
- 1.7.21 Best Earplugs For Singers
- 1.7.22 Best Earplugs For Small Ears
- 1.7.23 Best Ear Plugs For Showering
- 1.7.24 Infant Ear Protection
- 1.8 References
Moldable earplugs (or putty earplugs) are made from a soft material that you can mold into the exact shape of your ear. These earplugs will block out almost all the external noise. Putty earplugs generally come in two different varieties. These are wax and silicone earplugs. You can get other types, including soft plastic, which can be reused many more times.
Moldable earplugs are perfect for blocking out a lot of noise. They fill your entire ear yet do not stick out like other type of earplugs. (For example foam earplugs). They are ideal for use with a second type of ear protection device, for example, ear muffs. You simply insert the Putty earplugs into your ears, and then put the earmuffs over the top of the plugs. This gives you a double layer of protection blocking almost all the noise
You will never be able to block all the noise from your brain. Some of the bones in the head actually conduct sound to your ears as well. But you will be able to stop almost all the noise.
However, in a noisy work environment, for example, you will always be able to reduce the noise to a reasonable level
Moldable Wax earplugs
Wax earplugs are not as common as the silicone variety. They are made from wax and a cotton fiber mix, and the fiber will helps it hold its shape. These earplugs are fitted in the ear by rolling the wax into a ball. This is then gently pressed into the shape of your ear. Being made of wax the material softens with the heat from your body. Because of this, wax earplugs are probably one of the most comfortable plugs you can get, that block your entire ear.
The primary use for wax earplug includes sleeping, studying and blocking low noise. However, the best use for these earplugs is when sleeping, as they are very comfortable. Also they do not stick out of the side of the ear, meaning that you can sleep on your side without any problems. Wax earplugs are also useful for swimming, as they block the entire ear and stop water going in. But, silicone earplugs may be better for this purpose
How To Use Silicone or Wax Putty Earplugs
Moldable silicone earplugs
Silicone earplugs are like the wax earplugs above. However, they do not soften from the heat of your body as much. They are very comfortable, and extremely good at keeping water out as well as sound. As with wax earplugs, to fit them you roll them into a bowl and gently mold into the shape of your ear. You should always start with a ball, and never make a cone shape and insert it directly into your ear canal. This could increase the pressure and damage your hearing over time.
Silicone earplugs are suitable for sleeping, studying and relaxing. As mentioned earlier they are very water-resistant. Silicon Plugs are ideal for when you are swimming to avoid getting swimmers ear.
Plastic Moldable earplugs
There is one other type of moldable earplug, but it is far less common than the other two types. These are made from soft plastic, and to use it you must first immerse them in boiling water to soften the plastic. The plugs are then allowed to cool for a while, before being molded into the shape of your ear. They then keep the shape, as they need to be reheated again before the shape will change
Should you make a mistake the earplugs can be immersed in boiling water and re-molded
Plastic Moldable earplugs can be used many, many times, as they can be thoroughly cleaned. Also they do not lose that shape without reheating.
The main disadvantage is that they are not quite as comfortable as wax, or silicone earplugs
Decibullz DIY Custom Molded Earplugs
Other advantages of moldable earplugs
Some of the other uses/benefits of this type of earplug are:
Swimming. Doctors recommend this type of earplug to avoid swimmer’s ear
Airplanes. This type of earplug can help reduce pain due to air pressure
After surgery. This type of air plug can be used to protect the ear from foreign objects and bacteria after surgery. Never reuse the earplugs when you have ear problems, always use a sterilized clean pair
Disadvantages to moldable earplugs
Moldable earplugs are not ideal for all situations. They are great for blocking the ear and keeping foreign objects from entering your ear. But, they are not useful in all cases for example –
When you may want to hear conversations or other quiet noises. Some of the electronic hearing protection devices will reduce loud noises while increasing softer sounds. This is ideal for noisy work environments where you also need to talk. These earplugs are not the right choice in situations like this
How to remove moldable earplugs
To remove a wax or silicone earplug, simply press your finger behind the back of the ear. This forces the earplug away from the ear, you can then get hold of it and pull it out. The materials that in the plugs mean that the plug will not break, and easily pull out of your ear.
Below is a video less than a minute in length, showing you how easy it is to insert and remove these earplugs
Inserting and remove moldable earplugs
Can kids use moldable earplugs?
Yes! These earplugs can be used for children. These earplugs have all the advantages and disadvantages of the adult’s size plugs. Obviously, when buying these earplugs for children, be sure to buy for the right age range. The adult’s plugs will be too big, as children have smaller ears
Are moldable earplugs reusable?
Moldable earplugs are reusable for a few days. Yet, as they are slightly sticky, they will pick up dirt very quickly. You do not want to be putting dirty earplugs into your ears. Moldable earplugs are not expensive, and many people prefer not to reuse them.
Are earplugs safe?
Earplugs are harmless, but if you use them a lot, they may cause an ear wax build-up, as the wax cannot get out of the ear. This can lead to reduced hearing, and possibly tinnitus, until this extra wax is removed. This can be done with drops, or visiting a doctor to have it removed.
Earplugs can also lead to ear infections. The wax and bacteria build up in your ears causing infections. This can be painful and need medical treatment.
All these problems are avoidable. Make sure that if using earplugs, you always keep your ears clean
Wax Moldable Ear Plugs
- COMFORTABLE SLEEP - Wax ear plugs for sleeping adjust to every ear shape without making any pressure on an ear canal, unlike other foam earplugs. They cover the ear canal tight enough, so they will never fall out.
- FITS EVERYONE - Our noise canceling wax ear plugs are designed to fit any ear canal, even kids can use them. They don't stick out of your ear, so it is comfortable for side sleepers as well.
- A set of 12 reusable silicone ear plugs will last you for a long time. In addition, you receive 2 pairs of foam ear plugs and a special travel box to keep them clean.
- CHOICE FOR SWIMMING - the ear plugs are waterproof, so they can protect your ears from bacteria and viruses while swimming. Note that wax gel earplugs aren't recommended for outdoor swimming on a hot day.
- 32 dB BLOCK - All our ear plugs for sleeping have been tested and proved for noise cancellation, but they still allow you to hear warning signals or loud comments. Great for studying, working, concerts, traveling and hearing protection.
Silicon Moldable Ear Plugs
- THE ORIGINAL AND #1 SELLING - USA’s original and #1 selling moldable silicone ear plugs. Provides safe, non-toxic, non-allergenic waterproof protection and protects hearing from loud noises.
- THE ULTIMATE IN EARPLUG COMFORT - Mack’s soft moldable silicone putty molds very comfortably to the unique contours of any ear. These multi-use earplugs are great for sleeping, snoring, swimming, studying, bathing, travel, loud events, concerts, flying discomfort, motorcycles, etc. Lab tested and proven to help relieve airplane ear pressure and pain due to flying.
- #1 BRAND FOR SNORING - Mack’s is the #1 Doctor Recommended Brand to get a good night’s sleep when sleeping with a snoring spouse. Mack’s Earplugs have been saving marriages since 1962.
- #1 BRAND FOR PREVENTING EAR INFECTIONS - Mack’s is the #1 Doctor Recommended Brand to help prevent swimmer’s ear infections (otitis externa). Safe for use with ear tubes. Provides protection after ear surgeries. Also helps prevent Surfer’s Ear (exostosis). Mack’s are so trusted, they are the Official Earplugs of USA Swimming!
- #1 BRAND USED BY DOCTORS - Mack’s is the #1 brand of moldable silicone earplugs personally used by doctors. Mack’s original soft silicone putty formula provides a better, more comfortable fit and seal than custom molded ear plugs. These ear plugs are MADE IN THE USA and carry a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 22 decibels.
Plastic Moldable Ear Plugs
- CUSTOM MOLDED EARPLUGS: Easily and quickly fitted to the exact shape of your ear. This creates a perfect fitting earplug that will never hurt, never fall out and provide superior noise isolation.
- EASY SHAPE SYSTEM: Simply heat the Decibullz thermoplastic molds in boiling water, let them cool for a bit, and shape them to your ears. That's it, and If you don't get the perfect fit the first time Decibullz are the only custom earplugs that are re-moldable.
- PERFECT FOR ANY SITUATION: Decibullz are perfect for safety, traveling, swimming, loud concerts, and musicians.
- INCLUDED WITH PURCHASE: Two Decibullz Thermoplastic Custom Molds, Three Sets of Triple Flange Tips S, M, L, One Set of Max Protect MEDIUM Foam Tips, Earplug Carrying Pouch with Decibullz Logo
- OUR STORY: Kyle Kirkpatrick is a Olympic level gymnastics coach, extreme athlete and a tech nerd. But he was fed up with headphones because they wouldn't stay in, sounded awful or hurt his ears. Kyle consulted audio engineers, material specialists and high-level athletes to develop and test hundreds of designs, formulas and prototypes in order to create an easy and affordable custom molded earphone. In February 2012 Kyle created the worlds first thermo-fit custom earphone and Decibullz was born.
If you require more information, please check these referencesEarplug , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Sun 25-August-2019 Earplugs For Swimming , article, “www.slowtwitch.com”, retrieved on, Sun 25-August-2019 Custom Molded Earplugs , article, “www.decibullz.com”, retrieved on, Sun 25-August-2019