Swimming Ear Plugs For Kids (Babies, Toddlers, Children)
In A Hurry?
If you do not have time to read the full article, but want to find the best swimming ear protection for your kids? Below are my recommendations!
- 1 Swimming Ear Plugs For Kids (Babies, Toddlers, Children)
- 1.1 In A Hurry?
- 1.2 Why consider swimming ear plugs for kids?
- 1.3 Why Kids Get More Ear Infections
- 1.4 Kids earplugs for swimming – are they important?
- 1.5 The factors that affect ears problems
- 1.6 How To Dry a Childs Ears
- 1.7 Cleaning your child’s ears
- 1.8 Swimmers Ear In Kids
- 1.9 best swimming ear plugs for kids
- 1.10 Recommended Saftey Devices For Kids
- 1.10.1 Related Posts:
- 1.10.2 Best Hearing Protection For Duck Hunting
- 1.10.3 Best Chainsaw Ear Protection
- 1.10.4 Best Earplugs To Keep Water Out
- 1.10.5 Best Earplugs For Music Festivals
- 1.10.6 Best Earplugs For Flying
- 1.10.7 Best Hearing Protection For Construction
- 1.10.8 How To Block Out Snoring Without Earplugs
- 1.10.9 Best Reusable Earplugs For Sleeping
- 1.10.10 Best Ear Muffs For Studying
- 1.10.11 Best Hearing Protection For Lawn Mowing
- 1.10.12 Best Ear Protection For Leaf Blower
- 1.10.13 Best Earplugs For Singers
- 1.10.14 Best Earplugs For Small Ears
- 1.10.15 Best Ear Plugs For Showering
- 1.10.16 Infant Ear Protection
- 1.11 References
Why consider swimming ear plugs for kids?
“Swimmer’s ear is an infection of the outer ear. Symptoms are typically pain, drainage, swelling, and hearing loss “
Kids have far more sensitive, smaller ears than adults, they have less developed immunities, and their ears are harder to dry. All of these factors mean that it is far more likely for your child to develop an ear problem, like swimmers ear.
Why Kids Get More Ear Infections
Ear infections happen when bacteria build up in the middle ear of your child. There will always be some bacteria in the ear, but trying to clean it out incorrectly will cause more problems than it solves. (See later on how to clean a child’s ear)
Your children are not as developed as you are, this is why they get more earaches and infections. The tubes of the ear are a lot narrower, meaning that it is harder for any water that gets in there to drain away again
Kids earplugs for swimming – are they important?
Children’s and toddler ear plugs for swimming, are more important than they are for adults. Children’s ears are different, and children have weaker immune systems. You probably remember getting more earaches as a child.
Ears are a lot harder to dry than other parts of the body. The inner part of the ear should never be dried by inserting things like tissue, or cotton buds/q-tips.
The best way to stop ear infections in your kids is to use child or toddler ear plugs for swimming. Should you have a child that has an infection, or has particularly sensitive ears, then they may need them in the bath/shower as well.
Why don’t all kids need earplugs in the shower? Well, several factors influence the start of an ear infection. One of the most important of these is the cleanliness of the water. The fewer bacteria in the water, the less chance of an infection, and the water we shower in, in most developed country’s is very clean.
How To Use – Putty Buddies And Ear Band-It
The factors that affect ears problems
Cleanliness of the water.
As mentioned above. Water in a swimming pool is usually pretty clean, as it is treated commonly with chlorine, which prevents bacteria growth. However a lot of people use pools, and kids will pee in them. So to be sure, or if your child has sensitive ears, use plugs.
If your child has had any operations on their ears, are continually getting ear infections or they have had swimmers ear in the past. Then they may need to use child/toddler swimming ear plugs more than a child that has never had these conditions
This may seem counter-intuitive, but if there is soap in the water then it will break the surface tension of that water. What this basically means is that there is less resistance between the ear canal and the water. This means that the water can move further into the ear and do so more quickly. If the water is clean, and the ears appropriately dried, then there should be no problem.
If the child has sensitive ears or has had an infection, then kids waterproof ear plugs should be considered.
If the child’s ears are cleaned with Cotton Buds/Q-Tips, then there is more risk of infection, and earplugs should be considered. Putting anything in a child’s ear is a bad idea. The buds can scratch the delicate skin inside the child’s ears. If this has happened getting water in there is far more likely to cause an infection.
Depth of Water.
If you have an older child who can dive to the bottom of the pool, or river, the water pressure is increased. Increasing the weight of the water against the ear will push it in further, increasing any chance of infection.
How To Use Your Swim Earband And Earplugs
How To Dry a Childs Ears
If you are not using toddler swimming ear plugs, or water has still gotten into the ear then the ears should be adequately dried. The following are the main steps for achieving this
- Dry the outer ear with a soft cloth. Do not push it into the ear canal
- Tip the head to each side, pulling on the lower earlobe, to help the water drain
- Using a hairdryer on the low setting from 12 inches from the ear
- You can use drying drops, designed to be put into the ear to aid drying
- If the child gets a lot of infections, you could get an Ear Dryer. An electronic device created specifically for drying the ears
Do not do the following when cleaning ears
- Do not put ANYTHING into the ear canal
- Do not use drops if the is a perforated eardrum or the child has Ear Tubes (a tube inserted by a doctor with minor surgery)
Cleaning your child’s ears
You really should not need to clean your child’s inner ear, and if they need cleaning then you should probably take the kid to a doctor. This occurs when the child has a problematic hearing, or there is a significant build-up of inner ear wax.
If there is any wax in the outer ear, wipe it away with a cloth. The wax in the ear canal is a good thing! It will destroy any bacteria/viruses and fungus that gets into the ear, as the wax moves through the canal, it takes any dirt that may have gotten in with it.
Pushing a cotton bud in can compact the wax and scratch the skin, making infection far more common.
Physician Hearing Care Of Decatur ENT Offers Advice
Swimmers Ear In Kids
Swimmer’s ear is an infection of the outer ear, usually in the ear canal. Symptoms are typically pain, drainage, swelling, and hearing loss.
It causes debris to build up in the ear canal, and they will shed the ear canal skin. It causes hearing loss because you’re building up this blockage. So if you don’t clean that out and provide a clear passage for the medication to get into that infected ear, and make it healthy, it can last a while.
I’ve had patients where it’s lasted for weeks, almost a month, because it hasn’t been treated or cleaned.
Why It Occurs
Swimmer’s ear occurs because there’s an injury in the ear canal, or people keep their ears too clean! In America, people love to use q-tips, and their ears have no wax whatsoever! Wax is there for a reason, because it provides protective coating. It prevents aging, flaking, and infection.
When you keep your ears to clean, you set yourself up for a dermatological condition called ear canal dermatitis. When you get water in that unprotected area it creates an infection in the ear canal.
The first thing is to clean the ear thoroughly. This can be with suction or with instruments, and then we have to place topical drops to get the ear canal healthy.
If it’s bad enough, sometimes we even have to use oral medications like antibiotics. It can last a long time because the key to that is, number one you have to make sure you keep water out of the ears.
It’s a water-related problem! A lot of people don’t do that, they keep trying to flush the air out or they keep swimming or bathing, you need to keep it dry
best swimming ear plugs for kids
Below are the best child ear plugs for swimming and will protect your kid’s ears while bathing or swimming!
- SOFT SILICONE EARPLUGS. Easy to use and mold to the ear! MUCH MORE soft & comfortable than other ear plugs. WORLD’S ONLY FLOATING SOFT MOLDABLE SILICONE EARPLUGS. Float on water if dropped or dislodged.
- RECOMMENDED BY DOCTORS WORLDWIDE. Invented by an Ear, Nose, Throat Physician. HELPS PREVENT SWIMMER’S EAR. Perfect for ear tubes, perforated eardrums, myringotomy, myringotomy tubes, otitis media, and otitis externa.
- GUARANTEED EAR PROTECTION. Block water from the ear canal! Great for swimming, bathing, surfing, water skiing, canoeing, and kayaking. Perfect for traveling to the pool, lake or beach.
- TACKY TEXTURE keeps earplugs in place. ONE-SIZE-FITS-ALL design. Great for kids and adults! Reusable and last longer than other earplugs.
- Bright colors are appealing to kids. Kids love them! THE BEST SWIMMING EARPLUGS & EAR PROTECTION. Use with the EAR BAND-IT or EAR BAND-IT ULTRA SWIMMING HEADBAND for best protection.
- [Ergonomically shaped] Hearprotek ergonomic ear plugs are shaped to fit snugly inside the ear and lay flat against the outer ear, more so than flanged models. This ensures a watertight fit and it’s a pefect protection against swimmer’s ear or surf’s ear.
- [Comfortable & Safe] Made from soft silicone that is extremely soft and comfortable to insert in the ears and wear all the day. With the help of these earplugs, you will not face any kind of itching, scratching or irritation in the ears.
- [Bright Colors] The bright coloring of the earplugs will make you stand out and identifiable whether or not you have your earplugs in ears or not. Perfect for swimming, bathing, water skiing, canoeing and other water sports.
- [Easy carrying] The earplugs come with a reusable handy storage case, which you could just shove in your bag along with a pair of goggles to not to miss your pool session. We included 5pcs waterproof name stickers in the package as well, you can easily personalize your earplugs case or googles.
- [Fully Reusable & Washable] These silicone ear plugs are your best value, for they’re reusable over and over again rather than throwing them out each time for a new pair! Use it while you do your exercise and plug out, wash them and keep in the protective.
- KEEP WATER OUT AND EARPLUGS IN: This stylish neoprene headband helps hold ear plugs and custom ear molds in place during water activities. As an added layer of protection over earplugs, these ear bands also help prevent kids from fussing with, or removing their ear protection.
- USE WITH EARPLUGS TO HELP PREVENT SWIMMER’S EAR INFECTIONS: For full waterproof protection, wear Mack’s Ear Bands over Mack’s Moldable Silicone Putty Earplugs (sold separately) to block water from entering the ear canal. Mack’s Moldable Silicone Putty Waterproof Ear Plugs are USA’s ORIGINAL and #1 SELLING moldable silicone earplugs and are doctor recommended for helping prevent swimmer’s ear infections and for use with ear tubes.
- DOCTOR RECOMMENDED: When used in conjunction with waterproof earplugs, ear bands are doctor recommended for those with ear tubes (myringotomy tubes), eardrum perforations, swimmer’s ear infections (otitis externa) and middle ear infections (otitis media).
- MULTI-USE: Great for swimming, bathing, canoeing, surfing, kayaking, water skiing and other water activities. In addition to helping secure earplugs in place, Mack’s Ear Bands help keep ears warm during cold water and winter activities and even help keep hair out of your face. Take them to the pool, beach or lake.
- COMFORTABLE AND EASY TO USE: Mack’s swimming headband is made of comfortable, durable, stretchy neoprene with a strong, adjustable, hook and loop closure. The 2-color (purple/blue), reversible, adjustable neoprene headband fits most kids to medium-sized adult heads. Safe, comfortable and effective. Satisfaction guaranteed. From Mack’s, the Official Ear Care of USA Swimming.
Recommended Saftey Devices For Kids
While you are buying the earplugs, why not consider some of the best safety devices for kids of all ages
- Fits Chest sizes - Youth 25"-29" chest (64-74cm)
- Best fits 50-90lbs (23-41kg) fitting most youth weight sizes
- United States Coat Guard Approved - USCG Approved
- Durable Nylon with soft foam core for comfort.
- Type II PFD - Personal flotation device.
- Size in pounds/Age in years: Small:20-28 lbs/18 Months-2 years
- Cool sewing float vest for Child.White color available and hand consolidated foam blocks by sewing for comfort and durability.full-front zipper provide secure fit.Neoprene coating and EPE foam inserts.
- Benefit:Learning to swim can be a daunting experience for swimming learner.This jacket will help to give learner a boost of confidence in the water buu giving extra buoyancy allowing them to practice and strengthen their stroke,making the experience much more rewarding and enjoyable.
- After use,rinse in fresh water and clean the buckle(remove salt and sand).Hand to dry for 48 hours in a well-ventilated palce.Do not dry near heat source.Store in a dry place.
- WARNING!-use only under competent adult supervision!Will not protect against drowing!
- 【360° FULL PROTECTION】Upgraded baby swimming float with detachable swimming buoy, safety buckle and bottom support to prevent baby from sliding out or flipping backwards. Adjustable straps for a tailored fit of the age 6-36 months baby
- 【SAFE MATERIAL】The baby pool float is made of durable leak-proof PVC material with thickness of 0.35mm, more reliable than those 0.30mm swimming float on the market. All parts have passed the ASTM, CPC and COA Standards which are the highest and strictest international safety standards of toys, making it 100% safe and non-toxic
- 【CONVENIENT & SIMPLE】Provide 1x manual pump for easy inflation and 1x tube for quick deflation. Easily folds for storage and transport. Double-decked air chamber design, first inflated the small air chamber , and then inflated the big airbag
- 【BEST GIFT & SUITABLE OCCASIONS】 A great baby gift and swimming trainer toy, to help develop kid's breathing system, digestive system and body coordination capability. Also good for having fun in bathtub, swimming pool, beach, seaside, the baby spring&summer float activities, baby swim trainer activities, summer holiday etc
- 【1 YEAR WARRANTY! 】30-day money back and 12-month warranty. All baby floats have been carefully checked before transportation. Buy with 100% confidence and 0 risk. We stand behind the quality of everything we sell.If for any reason you are not entirely happy, CONTACT US DIRECTLY, we will replace or return your order, no question asked
If you require more information, please check these referencesSwimmer Ear , article, “www.mayoclinic.org”, retrieved on, Thu 05-September-2019 Swimmer Ear , article, “kidshealth.org”, retrieved on, Thu 05-September-2019 Swim Ear Plugs What You Need To Know , article, “Kids And www.healthyhearing.com”, retrieved on, Thu 05-September-2019 Get Water Out Of Ear , article, “www.webmd.com”, retrieved on, Thu 05-September-2019 Ears , article, “en.wikipedia.org”, retrieved on, Thu 05-September-2019